Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The world of vegan deodorant continues to grow with Florere

So, I'm currently on my sixth day of The Master Cleanse so I made a conscious decision to not review any beauty products that smelled fruity or decadent (i.e. like icing or chocolate or chocolate icing). Ack, I can't even type it without salivating. So, I've decided to shed some light on a new vegan, cruelty-free, PETA and CCIC approved deodorant that I've just discovered by Florere (pronounced "flow-rare").

Florere Holistic Skincare, founded by Cynthia DeLaney Gorman, was created after her friend's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She wanted to create deodorant that was pure and natural. It's important to know that most conventional deodorants you will find in supermarkets contain aluminum, harsh chemicals, artificial fragrances and preservatives that wind up seeping into your skin and into your bloodstream. Who wants those nasty ingredients in their beauty products? Nobody I know.

So, on that note, try these instead:

Deodorant Stick ($9.99): This vegan deodorant contains cocoa butter, shea butter, sodium bicarbonate, cornstarch, palm tree wax, coconut oil, essential oils of lavender and clary sage, Vitamin E, benzoin and that's it! Each ingredient has a specific property and job to do. These ingredients combined, help sooth, freshen, moisturize and restore your skin. The natural, subtle scent of lavender and clary sage is quite nice. Although this stick might seem really hard at first, let it sit against your skin for 5 seconds and it will start to soften. If you're thinking $10 is a lot for a stick of deodorant, it's not. It's going to last for 4-6 months and honoring your body with natural, vegan beauty products is priceless. And FYI, this deodorant totally goes on clear which is always lovely.

Deodorant Cream ($8.50): I give Florere mad props for coming up with yet another way to smell good. This is the first I've ever heard of a deodorant cream and I have to say I'm a fan. It's the creamy version of the deodorant stick. It's easy to apply, it smells delicate and fresh and it also go on clear. The scent is totally unisex so share these goodies with yo' man. For the longest time, before I was a vegan beauty product aficionado, I use to only buy anti-perspirants. Deodorants never worked for me. Now that my pits have been detoxed over time, deodorants work just fine. Not only that, the nature of anti-perspirants is so unnatural. They are designed to block your sweat ducts, preventing sweat and toxins from leaving your body. Not cool. My arm pits are happy campers now. There is no such thing as a natural anti-persiprant. So, if you are in the habit of unintentionally or intentionally blocking your sweat ducts, leave it to the start of a new year to make a change!

*Florere also makes a Shea Butter Moisturizer and Cleansing Grains.

For more info: Florere